I haven’t even had a chance to be at Hollywood Studios to try to get a boarding group for Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance, since my previous visit was in November 2019 and it hadn’t premiered to the general public yet. It really does seem like a luck of the draw/hit or miss kind of situation and so many people have tried all of the so-called tricks to getting a boarding group with no luck. Even with trying on multiple days. Earlier today I saw on the Disney Parks Blog that they are trying a new approach in order to try to help people get on this attraction.
Here’s the information straight from the Disney Parks Blog:
To better help guests visiting Disney’s Hollywood Studios plan ahead for their day at the park, we’re piloting a new approach to the virtual queue system for Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance. Starting Nov. 3, 2020, here’s how it will work:
- Guests with a valid ticket or annual pass and a Disney Park Pass reservation for Disney’s Hollywood Studios will be able to access the virtual queue system and check for an available boarding group starting at 7 a.m. on the day of their park reservation. This can be done before you leave your Disney resort hotel, or wherever else nearby you might be at that time.
- Just as we do today, the virtual queue will reopen daily at 2 p.m. for anyone who wasn’t already able to join a boarding group earlier in the day. Note: Guests must be inside Disney’s Hollywood Studios to access this second virtual queue opportunity, and access to a boarding group is subject to availability and not guaranteed.
This new approach will make a day at Disney’s Hollywood Studios more enjoyable and relaxing, as guests no longer need to be inside the park each morning to request a boarding group for the first virtual queue opportunity. As a reminder, you need to be inside the park to request the 2 p.m. boarding groups.
To try to maximize the number of boarding groups we’re able to accommodate while adhering to current health and safety guidelines, we recently added a clear barrier between the two rows of seats on each First Order Fleet Transport vehicle inside the attraction. This enables us to invite more guests to board Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance each day.
The attraction’s virtual queue is only accessible via the My Disney Experience mobile app. To maximize your opportunity to secure a boarding group, here are some tips we recommend you check off your list prior to your day at the park:
- Register an account in My Disney Experience
- Download the My Disney Experience mobile app on your smart device or ensure you’re using the most updated version of the app before you arrive at the park.
- Link and assign all park tickets in your party to a My Disney Experience account
- Have a valid Disney Park Pass reservation for Disney’s Hollywood Studios for the day you’re visiting
- Select one member of your party to access the virtual queue for everyone in your group; if multiple people in your party try to join the virtual queue simultaneously, that may complicate your ability to secure a boarding group
- Remember, virtual queue boarding groups are limited and subject to availability
This new pilot approach to the Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance virtual queue is designed to give guests the best possible experience during a day at Disney’s Hollywood Studios and Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge. We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to a galaxy far, far away.
I’m not convinced this will help people get boarding groups, seems like maybe they can just have the convenience of being frustrated at 7a.m. in the comfort of their hotel room or home (or car, or wherever they are at that time) if they still can’t score a boarding group. But maybe the ride will have more capacity and with any luck, less down time. I’ve resigned myself to the fact that it may take me several trips to be able to get to ride this, but I’m definitely still going to try every time! °O°